Vietnamese Phonemic Inventory
Vietnamese Speech and Language Assessments
Vietnamese Language Learning
Dr. Giang Pham’s ASHA Multicultural Grant website:
Hwa-Froelich, D., Hodson, B. W., & Edwards, H. T. (2002). Characteristics of Vietnamese Phonology. American Journal of Speech Language Pathology, 11(3), 264-273. doi: 10.1044/1058-0360(2002/031).
Link to article: http://ajslp.pubs.asha.org/article.aspx?articleid=1777155
Abstract: The number of individuals in the United States whose native language is Vietnamese has increased dramatically during the past decade. To work effectively with Vietnamese speakers, speech-language practitioners need to understand basic aspects of the Vietnamese language, especially the sound system, and how it differs from English. The purpose of this report is to provide basic information that can be used by practitioners to understand not only the differences between Vietnamese and English phonology, but also the influence of dialects. Characteristics of Vietnamese phonology and speech samples of three native speakers, representing the northern, central, and southern dialects, are used to illustrate information from the literature in this tutorial. Clinical Implications include considerations for assessment and intervention with Vietnamese individuals who may have a phonological disorder.
Excerpt from Kester, E. S. (2014). Vietnamese. Difference or Disorder? Understanding Speech and Language Patterns in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students, p. 77-81. Austin: Bilinguistics.
Information & Reflections from the Field
- Ducote, C. A. (2001). A Speech-Language Pathologist in Vietnam. The ASHA Leader, 6(22), 4-24. doi: 10.1044/leader.WB.06222001.4
- The Trinh Foundation
- Portland State University’s Multicultural Topics in Communications Sciences & Disorders: Vietnamese
- Hwa-Froelich, D. A. & Matsuo, H. (2005). Vietnamese Children and Language-Based Processing Tasks.Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch, 36(3), 230-243. doi: 10.1044/0161-1461(2005/023).
- Pham, G. (2012). Addressing Less Common Languages via Telepractice: A Case Example With Vietnamese. Perspect Comm Dis Sci CLD Pop, 19(3), 77-83. doi: 10.1044/cds19.3.77.
- Pham, G., Kohnert, K., & Mann, D. (2011). Addressing Clinician–Client Mismatch: A Preliminary Intervention Study With a Bilingual Vietnamese–English Preschooler. Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch, 42(4), 408-422. doi: 10.1044/0161-1461(2011/10-0073)